When shopping for refrigerators, the first options that come to most people’s minds are top fridges and French door refrigerators, leaving behind side-by-side refrigerators. However, you should not overlook the incredible side-by-side refrigerators, as they are just as good, if not better. While they are not as grand as French door refrigerators, they are cheaper and have high-end features that you will love, like through-the-door dispensers.
Side-by-side refrigerators are highly essential for large and busy families as they come with massive capacities and numerous features to help store your food while keeping it fresh for a long time. You will also have easy access to frozen and fresh groceries, which is a win.
Many brands manufacture side-by-side refrigerators, such as LG, Frigidaire, Samsung, Maytag, and GE, and you may be left confused about where to start. Luckily, we are here to guide you all through this process.
GE Appliances has been in the industry for more than 125 years and manufactures up to 100 refrigerator models. They are committed to manufacturing innovative products that will make your life at home easier. GE is well known for its incredible design styles, reliable products, and innovative features. Therefore, you will never go wrong with GE side-by-side refrigerators. Below is a comprehensive guide on the best GE side by side refrigerator options.
What Is A Side-By-Side Refrigerator?
A side-by-side refrigerator has top to bottom shelving on both sides, with one side being the refrigerator and the other the freezer. You will find that the fridge is much larger than the freezer side in most of these appliances.
What Are The Advantages Of A Side-By-Side Refrigerator?
There are a host of advantages to buying a side-by-side refrigerator. These include:
- They are slim in shape; hence they can fit small kitchens.
- You can conveniently store items from top to bottom; thus, you can access things quickly. So, compared with the top or bottom mount models, where you might have to bend down to grab items daily, these will be easier to access and better for people with back pains.
- Water and ice are dispensed through the door; thus, no need to open it. They are therefore highly convenient.
- They have more freezer space than French door refrigerators. This is a win for people with large families.
- They are sleek, hence amplifying your home’s aesthetic.
Factors To Consider When Choosing Side-By-Side Refrigerators
Below are some of the crucial things to consider when choosing the best side-by-side refrigerator for your home.
You will find most side-by-side refrigerators in the market having a capacity of between 20-25 cubic feet, which is excellent. Manufacturers recommend that for a family of four, 19-22 cubic feet capacity is sufficient to stock up food for up to a week or more. However, if you have a large family, a larger one with around 25-30 cubic feet is recommended.
It is crucial to consider the storage options that come with your side-by-side refrigerators. For example, some have adjustable shelves and door bins, which come in handy when storing many items. We also recommend that you go for a fridge with crisper drawers to help keep the vegetables fresh. Also, having storage drawers in the freezer will be a plus for you as you will easily keep items that cannot fit on the shelves.
A side-by-side refrigerator with dual evaporators will have one for the freezer and another for the fridge. These come in handy as those refrigerators that share one evaporator have issues with food drying out faster than usual. This happens due to the cold and dry air from the freezer drying out the food in the refrigerator. The crispers will also be more humid with dual evaporators; hence fruits and vegetables will last longer.
Side-by-side refrigerators come with the below internal features:
Ice And Water Dispenser
Side-by-side refrigerators come with ice and water dispensers; hence you will always have things ready, especially if you have guests over. You will also conserve energy as you will not need to open the door to get ice cubes or a cold glass of water. This will help it maintain its temperature, hence no unnecessary cycling, which means that you save energy in the long run.
Humidity-Controlled Crisper Drawers
These crisper drawers will help keep your leafy vegetables fresher for longer.
These shelves are durable and are less likely to break. In most refrigerators, they could be up to four shelves. However, the more they are, the more expensive the fridge will be.
Why GE Side-By-Side Refrigerators Are Worth Your Money
GE side-by-side refrigerators have lots of unique features that make them stand out. These include:
No one wants to spend their hard-earned money on a side-by-side refrigerator, only for it to break down in weeks or several months. However, this will not be the case with GE Appliances. GE Appliances is one of the most reliable refrigerator brands in the market, and they are known for their high-quality products. Therefore, you will not be disappointed.
GE side-by-side refrigerators have usability. For example, they use the Precise Fill technology to allow only exact amounts to be dispensed from the water dispenser.
GE side-by-side refrigerators are one of the most durable and energy-efficient fridges in the market. For example, they have Turbo Freeze and Turbo Cool settings to speed up cooling when necessary.
Best GE Side-By-Side Refrigerator Options: Our Top Recommendations
Here are some of the best GE side-by-side refrigerator options that are worth your money. We have compiled this list based on features, style, ratings, and durability.
GE Profile PSS28KYHFS Side-By-Side Refrigerator
This is one of the best GE side-by-side refrigerators in the market. It is one of the largest GE side-by-side refrigerators, hence perfect for massive families. We love that it has an advanced water filtration system that removes up to 98% of trace chemicals.
Why we love it:
- It has an Arctica ice maker that holds up to 10 lbs of ice. It also creates ice 50% faster than most refrigerators, thus, perfect for hosting parties.
- It has a dispenser for chilled water, crushed ice, and also ice cubes. The dispenser has an alarm and child lock for people with children, making it relatively safe.
- It has an angled LED lighting that illuminates both the fresh food section and the freezer.
- It also has multilevel drawers, adjustable door bins, and glass freezer shelves. You will therefore have plenty of ways to arrange your items.
- It has four electronic sensors and an air tower that is pretty easy to use.
- It is fingerprint resistant; hence you can easily wipe away smudges.
- It is not ideal for people with small families.
GE GZS22DGJBB Side-By-Side Refrigerator
If you want a refrigerator that is not too big and can fit up to three people efficiently, this is the best option for you. The GE GZS22DGJBB side-by-side refrigerator is a counter-depth fridge with a small capacity of 21.9 cu ft.
Why we love it:
- It has two humidity-controlled crispers that are of excellent quality.
- Its shelves have a wide adjustable range.
- It has a 14.2 cu ft refrigerator capacity that is perfect for couples or people living alone.
- It comes in black, white and grey colors.
- Its 7.7 cu ft freezer is spacious.
- It lacks floor-to-ceiling lighting, and the lower levels are poorly lit.
- It is not a family-sized refrigerator.
- It does not have a deli drawer on the standard model.
GE GSS25GSHSS Side-By-Side Refrigerator
This GE GSS25GSHSS side-by-side refrigerator does not come to play. It is a side-by-side and French door refrigerator in one, based on its features.
Why we love it:
- It has an Arctica icemaker that dispenses crushed ice, water, and ice cubes.
- The ice maker has an easy access door; hence you can access ice from within the freezer than the dispenser, which is more convenient.
- The dispenser has a child lock and door alarm for safety purposes.
- It has adjustable door bins making it easy for you to rearrange the layout when it seems fit.
- It also has multilevel drawers to keep the fruits and vegetables fresh.
- It has a dairy compartment for butter and cheese access while keeping the cheese smells separate from other fresh items.
- Its 25.3 cubic feet capacity will generously serve a family of four or more people well.
- It has spill-proof glass shelves that make cleaning easy.
- It is not counter-depth.
- It is pretty expensive, retailing at around $1439 without any high-tech features.
- It is not Energy Star certified.
GE GSS25IYNFS Side-By-Side Refrigerator
If you are a frozen food lover, this GE refrigerator will be the best pick. This GE GSS25IYNFS side-by-side refrigerator re-imagines freezer storage by utilizing all the space above the ice maker. You can therefore place all your frozen dinners, ice cream, and sandwiches there without any problems. The other parts of the freezer are separated by identical transparent glass shelves such as those in the refrigerator.
Why we love it:
- It has a fingerprint-resistant finish that enables you to wipe away all smudges easily.
- It has adjustable door bins and shelves to arrange items in the refrigerator.
- It has an indoor water and ice dispenser that comes in handy when you have guests.
- It has an XWF replacement filter that removes all trace elements of pharmaceuticals and impurities in water.
- It has bright LED lighting that enables you to see all compartments easily.
- It has a color-match dispenser, giving a seamless look.
- It has numerous multi-level drawers to store fruits and vegetables.
- It has an enhanced Shabbos mode.
- It is not Energy Star certified.
GE Profile PSHS6PGZSS Side-By-Side Refrigerator
This GE Profile PSHS6PGZSS side-by-side refrigerator is highly rated and has numerous features that you will love.
Why we love it:
- It has a NeverClean condenser that makes it relatively easy to maintain.
- It has bright LED lighting throughout the freezer and fridge, making it easy to find whatever you need.
- It has hidden hinges that give it a sleek and modern look, which will be fantastic for your seamless kitchen.
- Its GE ClimateKeeper system comes with a TurboCool setting that ensures that temperatures are kept constant.
- It has LED touch controls that make it pretty easy to control. You can also reset the filter and turn on the door alarm functions at the door.
- Its Arctica icemaker holds up to 10 lbs of ice, which is enough even when you have people over.
- It has multilevel freezer baskets for storage purposes.
- It has adjustable spill-proof shelves that make cleaning easy.
- It has frost guard technology that helps control defrosting, hence retaining food flavor.
- It does not maintain a constant temperature.
GE Profile PSCS5TGXSS Counter-Depth Side-By-Side Refrigerator
This GE Profile PSCS5TGXSS counter-depth refrigerator is a great find. Its performance and durability stand out.
Why we love it:
- With its counter-depth design, it offers a built-in look without the extra expense.
- It has an integrated dispenser with UltraFlow 100 and LED lighting that illuminates it. It also pours up to 100 ounces of water per minute.
- It has an ExpressChilll button that will chill your beverages quickly in minutes, not hours.
- It has an in-the-door can rack to keep your items organized.
- It has a Quick Ice option that makes ice 50% faster than standard settings.
- It has a GE water filtration system that ensures you get clean and great-tasting water and ice.
- It also has a TurboCool setting that cools the refrigerator quickly after numerous openings.
- It has adjustable clear door bins that hold containers efficiently.
- It has an integrated ice system that tilts down, providing easy access to bulk ice.
- It has a ClimateKeeper2 System that keeps food fresher for longer. It also has a dual evaporator system that protects the ice from odor transfer.
- It has color LCD controls with Touch Screen controls that enable you to control the refrigerator with only a single touch.
- It is only available in stainless steel, hence limited in color options.
Question: How Do You Level a Side-By-Side Refrigerator?
Answer: You will need to remove any grille that may be blocking the feet of the fridge first. Once that is done, the feet and legs will be exposed. After that, you can adjust them with a screwdriver, wrench, or your hands, based on the model. You can then rotate the legs up and down until they are even. Also, ensure that your refrigerator is installed on a flat surface to make the process easier for you.
Question: How Long Do GE Side-By-Side Refrigerators Last?
Answer: GE refrigerators are pretty long-lasting; hence, you will have them working efficiently for up to 14-26 years. However, this will only be possible if you take proper care of your refrigerator and have regular maintenance checks to check if it is working correctly.
Question: What Temperature Should I Set My Side-By-Side Refrigerator?
Answer: It is always recommended to have your freezer set at zero degrees Fahrenheit for optimal performance. On the other hand, your refrigerator should always be kept below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, with 37 degrees as the ideal temperature.
Best GE Side By Side Refrigerator Options: Conclusion
GE side-by-side refrigerators are some of the best appliances we have in the market, and you can never go wrong with them. With the above guide, you will be able to get the right one for your home. Bear in mind that what works for you might not work for another as they all have different sets of features.
We particularly love the GE Profile PSS28KYHFS Side-By-Side Refrigerator for large families and the GE GSS25IYNFS Side-By-Side Refrigerator if you stock lots of frozen food for weeks. Check them out, and let us know how you find them below.