- Whirlpool Dryer Won’t Start Troubleshooting Guide - October 8, 2022
- Whirlpool Washer Agitates But Won’t Spin Troubleshooting - September 27, 2022
- Best Washing Machine Outlet Box Options - August 29, 2022
In addition to Whirlpool dishwasher’s extended warranties, they are known for their high quality and durability. But this does not mean they are immune to errors. Like every other dishwasher, the Whirlpool dishwasher gets broken too. One of the most common problems with a Whirlpool dishwasher is not spraying enough water to clean plates. Many people have experienced this issue, and it can be frustrating.
As an HVAC specialist, I have years of experience troubleshooting HVAC appliances. I can assure you with the proper troubleshooting guide, you can fix your dishwasher on your own. In this Whirlpool Dishwasher Not Spraying Troubleshooting article, I have included some of the most common causes of your Whirlpool dishwasher not filling with water and how to troubleshoot them.
Let’s get started!
Bottom Line Up Front
There is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to troubleshooting your Whirlpool dishwasher. If your Whirlpool dishwasher stops spraying, the most common culprit would a clogged device. In this case, you either need to clean the part, or replace it entirely.
Reasons why your Whirlpool dishwasher is not spraying water
Here are the most common causes of your dishwasher not filling with water and how to troubleshoot them.
Clogged Water Inlet
The dishwasher’s water inlet is a small valve that allows water to enter the dishwasher. It is usually located at the back of the dishwasher and connects to the water supply line. When you turn on the dishwasher, water flows into the dishwasher through the water inlet and fills up the tub.
If your Whirlpool dishwasher isn’t spraying water, it could be due to a clogged water inlet. The water inlet is the point where water enters the dishwasher, and if it’s blocked, the water can’t get into the dishwasher to do its job.
How to Fix
To fix this problem, you must clean or replace the inlet valve.
- Unplug the dishwasher from the power outlet.
- Remove the lower dish rack and look for debris in the water inlet.
- Use a small brush or toothpick to clear it out if you see any.
- Check the inlet valve for clogs.
- Use a small brush or toothpick to clean debris from the inlet valve.
- If the valve is severely clogged, you may need to replace it.
How to replace
- Disconnect the water inlet.
- Replace it with a new one.
- Once you have cleaned or replaced the inlet valve, reassemble the dishwasher and plug it back in.
- Turn on the dishwasher to see if it is now spraying water correctly.
Problem with The Float Switch
The float switch is a mechanical device that detects the water level in a dishwasher tub. It rises and falls with the water level. When the water level rises to a certain point, the float activates the switch, which turns on the dishwasher’s pump. Also, it deactivates when the water level falls below a certain point, and the pump shuts off.
The float switch prevents the dishwasher from operating if there is too much water in the tub. If it is stuck in the “on” position, it will prevent the dishwasher from starting.
How to Fix
- Unplug the dishwasher from the power outlet.
- Remove the screws that secure the float switch to the dishwasher tub.
- Clean any dirt or debris from the float switch with a damp cloth.
- Check to see if the float moves freely and does not get stuck in the “on” position.
- If the float switch is damaged, replace it with a new one.
- Reattach the float switch to the dishwasher tub and screw it in place.
- Plug the dishwasher back into the power outlet and turn it on.
- Run a test cycle to see if everything is fine.
Problem with The Water Pump
A dishwasher typically has a water pump that helps to circulate water throughout the machine during the washing cycle. The pump is usually located near the bottom of the dishwasher. It consists of moving parts that combine to draw water from the dishwasher’s reservoir and push it through the various spraying components.
The water pump is responsible for providing enough water pressure to operate the dishwasher’s spray arms, which are responsible for cleaning the dishes. Sometimes your dishwasher can fail due to age or wear and tear, which can cause the dishwasher to leak or not operate correctly.
So, if your Whirlpool dishwasher isn’t spraying water, the problem is likely with the water pump.
How to Fix
- First, check to see if there is water in the dishwasher.
- If there is, then check if the water pump is getting power.
- If neither of these is the problem, the issue is probably with the water pump itself and will need replacement.
How to Replace
- First, disconnect the dishwasher from power and water sources to replace the pump.
- Then, remove the access panel to get to the pump. The water pump should be visible with the board removed.
- Disconnect any attached hoses or wires and then remove the pump itself.
- Install the new pump in reverse and reconnect the access panel.
- After putting everything back in place, reconnect the power and water sources.
- Test the dishwasher to ensure it is working correctly.
Clogged Spray Arm
The spray arm is a critical component of the dishwasher that helps to ensure your dishes come out clean and sparkling. It is responsible for spraying water and detergent onto the dishes. The spray arm is located at the bottom of the dishwasher and has several holes or nozzles that release the water.
The spray arm’s water pressure helps rotate it, allowing it to cover all dishes in the dishwasher. As the water sprays onto the dishes, any food or dirt particles are loosened and removed. If your Whirlpool dishwasher isn’t spraying water, one of the most likely culprits is a clogged spray arm. You will need to clean it.
How to Clean
To clean the spray arm:
- Remove the upper rack and locate the spray arm.
- Clear debris from the spray arm’s holes with a toothpick or sharp object.
- Run the dishwasher through a cycle with hot water to make sure the spray arm is clear.
The dishwasher must be level for the water to spray correctly. If you overload your dishwasher with too many dishes, it will cause additional stress, resulting in not spraying water.
How to fix
- Open the door and look at the gap between them.
- Open the tub to see if your dishwasher is level. The space should be even all around.
- If it isn’t, reposition the leveling legs until it is. If it’s not, adjust the leveling legs until it is.
Problem with The Water Pump Belt
A water pump belt helps to circulate water in a dishwasher. It is responsible for moving water from the dishwasher’s reservoir to the spray arm. It ensures that dishes are cleaned adequately during the washing cycle.
If the water pump belt becomes damaged or worn, it can cause the dishwasher to leak or not operate correctly. Not all dishwasher comes with a pump belt; consult your owner’s handbook to see if your model has a water pump belt.
How to Replace
Follow the steps below to replace your water pump belt and get your dishwasher back up and running.
- First, disconnect your dishwasher from the power source.
- Next, remove the lower dish rack and spray arm assembly.
- Locate the water pump belt and remove it from the pulley.
- Install the new water pump belt onto the water pump pulley.
- Reinstall the spray arm assembly and lower dish rack.
- Reconnect your dishwasher to power and turn it on.
- Check to see if your Whirlpool dishwasher is now spraying water properly.
Problem with The Circulation Pump
A dishwasher’s circulation pump helps to ensure that water is evenly distributed throughout the washer during the washing cycle. The circulation pump is typically located near the bottom of the dishwasher and consists of a small motor and impeller.
The impeller helps to create a water current that circulates the water throughout the dishwasher. Over time, the circulation pump may become dirty or clogged, reducing efficiency. If this happens, cleaning or replacing the circulation pump is essential to ensure proper dishwashing.
How to Replace
- Disconnect your dishwasher from the power source.
- To expose the pumps and other components, remove the lower access panel.
- Locate the circulation pump (it will be near the bottom of the dishwasher).
- Loosen the mounting screws and disconnect the electrical wires with a screwdriver.
- Remove the old circulation pump and install the new one in its place.
- Reconnect the electrical wires and mounting screws.
- Replace the lower access panel and turn on your dishwasher.
- If you followed these steps correctly, your dishwasher should spray water properly again.
How to Use A Dishwasher Properly for The Best Results?
If you have a dishwasher, you may want to use it as often as possible to save time and energy. However, if you don’t use it properly, you could end up with dirty dishes or even damage your dishwasher.
Here is how to properly use your dishwasher for the best results:
- Start by rinsing off any large pieces of food from your dishes before loading them into the dishwasher. It will help prevent clogs and ensure that your dishes come out clean.
- Try to load your dishwasher evenly so that water can circulate properly and clean all dishes. Avoid overcrowding the dishwasher or packing items too tightly together.
- Be sure to use the correct amount of detergent for your load. Too much detergent can cause excessive suds and may not clean your dishes properly, while too little can leave them dirty.
- To ensure that your dishes are clean, you may need a dishwasher booster or water softener if you have hard water.
- Run your dishwasher on the appropriate cycle for the type and number of dishes you’re cleaning. Most dishwashers have cycles for normal loads, heavy loads, and fragile items.
Question: How can I clean my Whirlpool dishwasher’s filters?
Answer: To clean your Whirlpool dishwasher’s filters, remove them from the dishwasher and then rinse them under running water. If the filters are filthy, you may need to soak them in a vinegar solution for a few minutes before rinsing. Once the filters are clean, reinstall them and run the dishwasher through a cycle to ensure proper operation.
Question: How does water spray in a dishwasher?
Answer: Warm water from the dishwasher’s basin is distributed to the spray arms by the drain pump. The plates are then sprayed with hot water through tiny pores in the spray arms at high pressure.
Question: Why is my Whirlpool dishwasher leaving water spots on my dishes?
Answer: Several possible reasons your Whirlpool dishwasher may be leaving water spots on your dishes. First, check the water supply line to ensure it is not leaking. Next, clean the dishwasher’s filters and spray arm to remove any build-up that may be causing the problem. Finally, if the dishwasher is still leaving water spots, it may need to be serviced by a qualified technician.
Question: How do I know if my Whirlpool dishwasher drain pump is bad?
Answer: You will have to take a brief test to confirm this. Disconnect the washer from the sink first, then empty the drain hose into a bucket or other container. Set the dishwasher to drain and watch how quickly the water drains. If it is only a trickle, you may have a broken impeller. That explains why your dishwasher does not spray water.
Question: Why is my Whirlpool dishwasher not draining properly?
Answer: There are several possible reasons why your Whirlpool dishwasher may not be draining properly. First, check the drain hose to ensure it is not kinked or blocked. Next, clean the dishwasher’s filters and spray arm to remove any build-up that may be causing the problem. Finally, if the dishwasher is still not draining correctly, it may need to be serviced by a qualified technician.
Whirlpool Dishwasher Not Spraying Troubleshooting: Conclusion
Although dishwashers are built to last and have an extended warranty, there may be times when they malfunction. If your Whirlpool dishwasher is not spraying, it is likely one of the components has been clogged. Depending on the type of dishwasher you have, I suggest you do a proper investigation before making any conclusions. Most times, the problem might not be as complicated as it seems.