- GE Monogram Dishwasher Review & Guide: A Look at GE’s Luxury Brand - November 24, 2022
- Whirlpool Duet Steam Washer Guide: Should You Still Consider Duet? - November 22, 2022
- Best Samsung Front Load Washers Guide: Should You Consider Samsung? - November 8, 2022
Amana is Whirlpool’s budget line, selling reasonably priced appliances with the parent company’s reliability reputation. Their dryers are well built, bearing a striking resemblance to Whirlpool-branded models. Sadly, if you’re looking for an Amana gas dryer, there are only two models available at the time of writing.
In this Amana gas dryer guide, we’ll determine whether it’s worth considering Amana over other brands. You’ll read about the features available in Amana’s dryers to help you figure out whether they offer value for money over other brands in the market. I’ve also put together a list of alternative gas dryer models just to help you make a more informed choice. Keep reading to find out more.
Bottom Line Up Front
My Amana gas dryer recommendation is the Amana NGD4655EW 6.5 CU. FT. Gas Dryer. It is a basic dryer that’s priced at just under $600 but offers features that make it an excellent performer. If you’re looking for a no-frills gas dryer that offers value for money, this is the one to choose.
At a Glance: Amana Gas Dryer Models
(w x d x h) inches
|Amana NGD4655EW 6.5 CU. FT. Gas Dryer||White||
||29 x 28.25 x 44||$580 – $750|
|Amana NGD5800HW 7.4 CU. FT Front-load Dryer||White||
||27 x 31 x 38.75||$800 – $1050|
What to Consider When Choosing a Gas Dryer
Both electric and gas dryers require vents (unless it’s a ventless electric model). However, unlike their electric counterparts, gas dryers produce carbonmonoxide, which should be properly exhausted outside your home. Therefore, it’s important that you have a home with vent accommodation before choosing to buy a gas dryer. If you live in an apartment without this facility then consider a ventless electric dryer.
Also, find out the dryer’s venting direction; some are vented from behind, others from the side, and some from below. I recommend choosing a dryer that can be vented from more than one direction for flexibility. Finally, select a dryer with an easy-to-reach lint filter so that you’re able to quickly clean it after every load.
Consider the space in your laundry room and look for a dryer that will fit. Avoid a tight fit that prevents the door from fully opening. You also need a clearance of about 4 inches (10 centimeters) on the side where the vent is installed.
If you have a small laundry room, consider a stackable dryer, like this Amana model, to save space.
It’s important also to look at the venting direction of the dryer and make sure that where you install it will allow for the shortest possible vent pipe with no corners. A duct with corners increases the possibility of blockages. Ideally, a vent pipe should be no more than 25 feet (7.6 meters).
All modern dryers have temperature sensors that measure the temperature of the vented air. If the outgoing air reaches a certain peak temperature, the sensors will send a signal to the dryer to shut off, preventing overdrying of clothes.
Consider a dryer that has a moisture sensor as well, as this makes the appliance more energy efficient. Moisture sensors can tell whether the clothes are still wet and shut off the dryer when the load is dry. However, you’ll have to spend more if you want a gas dryer with a moisture sensor as well. Find out more about how these sensors work here.
The dryer capacity you choose should be determined by the size of your washer. According to experts, the dryer is supposed to be two times the capacity of your washer. Amana’s gas dryers have capacities of 6.5 and 7.4 cubic feet. If you have a washer with about 3.5 to 4 cubic feet then the Amana gas dryers should be ideal for you. These dryers are meant for average load sizes but will not be as efficient when drying large loads.
Gas dryers are slightly more expensive than electric dryers with similar specs. For instance, Amana’s gas dryers are about $100 more than their electric counterparts. When choosing a model, consider features that are important to you and whether they’re worth spending a little extra.
For instance, a dryer with moisture sensors will be more costly than one without. However, this extra sensor makes it more energy-efficient, resulting in gas savings in the long run.
Similarly, more expensive dryers have several drying cycles that aren’t available in the lower-priced models. Determine whether the extra cycles are important to you. If not, consider spending less on a dryer with fewer cycles.
Available Amana Gas Dryer Models
This is Amana’s most expensive dryer in the lineup, and the only front-load-design model available. However, as I mentioned at the start of this article, Amana’s appliances are meant to be Whirlpool Corporation’s budget options, making this model significantly cheaper than similar Whirlpool, Maytag, or KitchenAid models.
At the time of writing, you can get this dryer for less than $1000. Meanwhile, this Whirlpool gas dryer is similar to the NGD5800HW – it even looks the same – but it costs more than $1000. Therefore, if you’re looking for a front-load-design gas dryer, then consider this Amana model as it offers excellent value for money.
Its main selling point is that it’s an energy-efficient appliance; in fact, this model is Energy Star certified. The addition of a moisture sensor gives it an edge over the more affordable dryer in Amana’s lineup (more on this model below).
- The Amana NGD5800HW gas dryer has a capacity of 7.4 cubic feet.
- It has a width of 27 inches, a depth of 31 inches, and a height of 38.75 inches.
- It has a reversible door.
- The dryer is stackable using a stacking kit.
- It has sensor drying.
- This model has four temperature settings.
- It also has an Eco Dry option.
- This is an affordable front-load gas dryer.
- It has moisture sensors and sensor drying.
- This model is Energy Star certified.
- It has a powder-coated drum which isn’t as durable as stainless steel.
- There are no smart features.
- There’s no drum light.
At the time of writing, this dryer costs less than $600, making it one of the most affordable gas dryers on the market. To bring it to this low price, Amana (or Whirlpool) had to make some cutbacks, starting with the moisture sensor. Also, at this price point, don’t expect any fancy features like WiFi connectivity or steam function.
Still, if you’re on a tight budget, these frills aren’t important to you – all you need is a dryer that does its job well. And the NGD4655EW certainly delivers on the promise of perfectly dried clothes.
It’s still a pleasure to see the Wrinkle Prevent option in this model, which is always handy to have. Plus, with the temperature sensor, this dryer does a satisfactory job of preventing overdrying of your laundry. According to users, this Amana gas dryer completes a full load within just 20 minutes.
- The Amana NGD4655EW has a capacity of 6.5 cubic feet.
- It has a width of 29 inches, a depth of 28.25 inches, and a height of 44 inches.
- The dryer has a side-swing reversible door.
- It has a powder-coated drum.
- It has 11 drying cycles and 3 temperature settings.
- This model also has the Wrinkle Prevent option.
- It has Automatic Dryness Control.
- It is an affordable dryer.
- The dryer’s performance is excellent.
- It’s easy to use.
- Its design is a bit spartan.
- There’s no separate temperature-setting knob.
Amana Gas Dryers Alternatives
- Value for money – The alternatives on this list are reasonably priced and offer features that make them worth the purchase cost.
- Features – I considered dryers with features that make them worthy alternatives to Amana’s gas dryers. These are generally features that aren’t found in Amana’s models.
- Performance – These dryer models are effective at drying loads within the shortest possible time, making them energy efficient.
- Ratings – The models on this list have at least a four-star rating with at least 70% of those being five-star ratings.
GE® GFD55GSPNDG 7.8 cu. ft. Capacity Smart Front Load Gas Dryer
Costing about $900 at the time of writing, this GE front-load dryer is a better option than Amana’s front-load model, if you ask me. It has a more stylish look, as you’d expect from a GE appliance, and it comes in two color options: gray and white. I think the gray looks more sophisticated but that’s just my opinion.
The GE® GFD55GSPNDG is larger than the Amana NGD5800HW, with a capacity of 7.8 cubic feet as opposed to Amana’s 7.5. This makes it great for large households. Moreover, it does a great job at drying loads, with handy features like Sanitize and Wrinkle Care that make sure your laundry looks great at the end of a cycle.
However, this GE dryer’s chief selling point is the smart features, which are unavailable in most dryers at its current price point. With WiFi connectivity, you’ll be able to remotely operate and monitor the load cycle straight from your phone.
- The GE® GFD55GSPNDG has a width of 28 inches, a depth of 32 inches, and a height of 39.75 inches.
- It has a capacity of 7.8 cubic feet.
- This dryer has a front-load design with a reversible door.
- It is stackable.
- The dryer has 10 drying cycles.
- It has sensor dry technology.
- It has a stylish look.
- It has WiFi connectivity and smart features.
- The dryer is quiet.
- It can be vented from four positions.
- It has lots of features that might be difficult to learn to use.
- GE doesn’t have a very good reliability track record.
Check out this article to learn more about GE’s dryer models.
Whirlpool WGD4850HW 7.0 cu. ft. Top Load Gas Dryer
This Whirlpool gas dryer is a good alternative to Amana’s top-load model, except that this one costs more. At about $800, it’s a whopping $200 more than the Amana NGD4655EW, but does it offer more value? I think so.
For starters, this Whirlpool dryer has a capacity of 7.0 cubic feet, larger than the Amana top-loader. And although its design is almost similar to that of the Amana dryer, this one looks less spartan. One of the differences is in the door – Whirlpool gave the WGD4850HW a drop-down hamper door instead of a side swing.
You’ll also notice three knobs on this dryer as opposed to just two found in the Amana model. The extra knob is for temperature control, offering three settings. Finally, it would be remiss of me if I didn’t mention Whirlpool’s reputation for reliability, meaning that this dryer is bound to serve you for years.
- The Whirlpool WGD4850HW has a width of 29 inches, a depth of 28.25 inches, and a height of 43 inches.
- Its capacity is 7.0 cubic feet.
- This model has 12 drying cycles.
- It has a sensor-controlled automatic drying system.
- There are also timed drying cycles.
- There’s a Wrinkle Shield option.
- You can adjust the drying temperature.
- It has an efficient automatic drying system.
- The dryer is easy to use.
- The hamper door is low forcing you to bend to access the tub.
Find out more about Whirlpool’s dryers in this article.
Maytag MGD6230HC Smart Top Load Gas Dryer
If you’re looking for a large-capacity top-load-style dryer with advanced features then consider the Maytag MGD6230HC model. However, it costs more than $1000, so prepare to spend more than you would on an Amana gas dryer. Still, its high price comes with a track record for reliability.
In fact, in the 2021 JD Power customer satisfaction study, Maytag dryers ranked second after Samsung. Moreover, Maytag is Amana’s more premium sibling – both are members of the Whirlpool family – making it a good alternative if you have a little bit more to spend.
If you choose to buy the Maytag MGD6230HC, you’ll enjoy its WiFi connectivity that enables you to operate the dryer via a smartphone app. It also has the company’s Advanced Moisture Sensing feature, which makes it an efficient and effective dryer. However, sadly, it isn’t Energy Star certified.
- It has a width of 27 inches, a depth of 30 inches, and a height of 41.25 inches.
- Its capacity is 7.4 inches.
- It has moisture and temperature sensors for advanced moisture sensing.
- There’s an Extra Power button.
- The dryer has a top-load design with a hamper door.
- There are 11 drying cycles.
- It has a large capacity.
- There’s WiFi connectivity for remote operation and monitoring.
- It isn’t Energy Star certified.
If you’re interested in Maytag dryers, check out our in-depth Maytag dryer model guide.
Kenmore 75132 7.0 cu. ft. Gas Dryer
Kenmore strives to offer value for money and the 75132 top-load-design dryer is a great option when looking for a gas dryer. At the time of writing, this dryer costs just above $800, which is significantly more expensive than Amana’s $600 top-load model. But is it $200 better?
The Kenmore 75132 has a similar look to Amana’s model, save for the control area, which has four knobs. The extra two are for activating Wrinkle Guard and adjusting the temperature.
Amana’s NGD4655EW model also doesn’t have moisture sensors; this one does. Actually, Kenmore calls it Smart Dry Plus, which is made up of two moisture sensors as well as a temperature sensor. Because of this feature, the 75132 can effectively dry a load and automatically shuts off when the laundry is completely dry.
- It has a capacity of 7.0 cubic feet.
- Its width, depth, and height are 29 inches by 28 inches by 43 inches respectively.
- It’s a top-load model with a hamper door.
- The dryer has two moisture sensors and a temperature sensor.
- It has a Wrinkle Guard feature.
- There are three drying temperatures.
- The dryer is easy to use.
- It has a large capacity.
- It has an auto dry function.
- It doesn’t look stylish.
Check out our Kenmore dryer model guide to find out more about this brand.
Samsung DVG45T6000P/A3 7.5 cu. ft. Front Load Gas Dryer
I selected this Samsung gas dryer as an alternative to Amana’s models mainly because of its price – it costs just $700 at the time of writing. At this price point, it’s very easy to recommend this front-load dryer with Samsung’s trademark stylish looks. Plus, being a Samsung, I’m sure that it’s quite reliable. In fact, according to the 2021 JD Power customer satisfaction index, Samsung dryers were ranked number one in reliability.
That said, you should expect excellent performance from this dryer, with features like Sensor Dry, which uses moisture and temperature sensors to optimize the cycle’s temperature. And with a large capacity of 7.5 cubic feet, this Samsung dryer offers more value for money than the Amana NGD5800HW dryer.
- It has dimensions of 27 by 38.7 by 31.5 inches for the width, height, and depth.
- The dryer has a capacity of 7.5 cubic feet.
- It has 10 drying cycles.
- It has sensor drying.
- The dryer has five temperature levels.
- Its door is reversible.
- It is compatible with Samsung’s Smart Care.
- This dryer can be vented from three directions.
- It has a drum light.
- It is affordable.
- The drum isn’t made of stainless steel.
Find out more about Samsung dryers in this model guide.
Question: Is Amana a good dryer?
Answer: Yes, Amana dryers are considered good and reliable, mainly because they’re built by Whirlpool, which is considered a reliable brand. Compared to other Whirlpool brands, Amana dryers are simple and easy to use, meant for the budget-minded buyer.
Question: What is the most reliable dryer brand?
Answer: According to the 2021 JD Power customer satisfaction study, Samsung dryers were found to be the most reliable.
Question: How often should you clean the dryer vent?
Answer: Generally, you should clean the dryer vent at least once a year. However, if you have a large household, have pets, or often clean blankets and towels, then you should clean the dryer vent about three times a year.
Best Amana Gas Dryers Guide: Bottom Line
Amana’s appliances are designed for those looking for affordable, basic models and this is no different for the company’s gas dryers. Sadly, you have limited options if you’re considering Amana’s gas dryers: they only have two models in their lineup. If you’re looking for a basic dryer that gets the job done, consider the Amana NGD4655EW top-load model. However, if you want a front-loader or a more advanced top-load model, consider one of the alternatives I’ve listed above.
Are you also looking for an Amana washer? Take a look at our Amana washer model guide to help you find the right one for your needs.