- GE Monogram Dishwasher Review & Guide: A Look at GE’s Luxury Brand - November 24, 2022
- Whirlpool Duet Steam Washer Guide: Should You Still Consider Duet? - November 22, 2022
- Best Samsung Front Load Washers Guide: Should You Consider Samsung? - November 8, 2022
Amana takes pride in being the first to unveil a side-by-side refrigerator back in the late 40s, as well as the first bottom-freezer refrigerator in 1957.
The company’s long experience that goes back over 80 years means that they have developed a knack for building quality appliances. If you’re thinking about getting an Amana refrigerator, you should be confident that you’ll find a product that will last.
Amana has several refrigerator models in their lineup, differing in type and price. The company seems to focus on value, offering models that cost between $700 and $1500. In this Amana refrigerator model guide, I’ll take a deeper look at the price and other factors to consider when looking for an appropriate model. Keep reading to learn all you need to know.
What to Consider When Buying an Amana Refrigerator
Type of Amana Refrigerator
Depending on your needs, you first need to decide which type of refrigerator you need. Amana has three types of refrigerators in their lineup at the time of writing this piece. These are; side-by-side, bottom-freezer, and top-freezer refrigerator models.
Amana’s side-by-side refrigerators are the company’s mid-priced models, sitting in between the top-freezer and bottom-freezer models. They’re characterized by tall fridge and freezer sections since these two compartments run from top to bottom. However, the freezers in these units are narrower, so you won’t fit wide containers and platters in them.
Some platters may also not fit in the fridge section since the shelves aren’t as wide as those you’d find in a French-door refrigerator model.
Still, the side-by-side models have the largest freezers compared to the other types of refrigerators that Amana sells. If you need lots of freezer space, consider these models but make sure your containers are wide enough to fit on the shelves.
Check out Amana’s side-by-side refrigerator models here.
Most people use the fridge section more than they do the freezer. Bottom-freezer models are meant to reduce the strain of bending when reaching for everyday foods by placing the fridge section at eye level.
Amana’s bottom-freezer models have large fridge sections with wider shelves than those in the side-by-side models. So, wide containers will fit more easily in these models.
The company has two models with a drawer freezer instead of the standard door configuration. Drawers make it easier to reach for food in the freezer since you’ll be able to see what’s in there without bending too much. Although these models have slightly smaller freezers than side-by-side refrigerators, you’ll still find it easier to store larger foods like turkeys in them.
Take a look at Amana’s available bottom-freezer refrigerator models here.
These are Amana’s most affordable refrigerator models, with a classic design. Some people argue that having a freezer on top is better because you won’t have to strain to remove heavier foods like turkeys. However, your everyday food in the fridge isn’t at eye level, so you might find yourself bending more often to reach for a snack.
Amana’s top-freezer refrigerators have an almost similar capacity to the bottom-freezer models, but fewer storage options exist. Consider these models if you’re on a budget, as they’re the lowest priced in Amana’s lineup. Here are the available Amana top-freezer refrigerators.
If you’d like to learn more about the different types of refrigerators and their pros and cons, check out this in-depth article.
Price of Amana Refrigerators
Amana focuses on value for money, so their refrigerators all have a mid-range price. The most affordable model costs $700. This is a top-freezer model with basic features. Top-freezer refrigerators are the most affordable, with the most expensive one costing about $930.
If you’re looking for a bottom-freezer unit, you’ll have to budget for at least $1500. The most expensive bottom-freezer refrigerator costs $1600, which also happens to be Amana’s highest-priced refrigerator model. Amana’s side-by-side refrigerators sit in between the top and bottom-freezer models. The lowest-priced one costs $1300, and the most expensive one is priced at $1350.
The company’s refrigerators are competitively priced compared to competing brands, so if you’re looking for affordable refrigerator options, these Amana models are worth considering.
Available Refrigerator Sizes
Think about the space where you’ll install your refrigerator as you consider the size to get. Refrigerators are categorized according to their widths. Amana’s smallest one is a 28-inch model, while the largest one has a width of 36 inches. In between, there are 29, 30, and 33-inch models.
Do note, however, that the listed widths aren’t the exact measurements as they are often rounded off. For instance, a refrigerator with a width of 31.375 inches will be listed as a 30-inch model. So, check the model’s spec sheet for the actual measurements and use this when measuring the allotted spot for your refrigerator.
Also, make sure there’s at least an extra half-inch on either side between the refrigerator and the cabinets and at least an extra inch at the back for air circulation. Here’s a step-by-step guide to finding the right refrigerator size.
If you’re wondering what refrigerator capacity is ideal for you, check out this article where we dove deeper into the topic. Generally, you should calculate about 4 to 6 cubic feet per adult in your household and add a little extra.
Amana’s smallest refrigerator has a capacity of 14 cubic feet, which should be ideal for a household with about two to three adults. The company’s largest model has 25 cubic feet, which would be sufficient for a household with about five adults or a family of six (two adults and three children). There are also 18, 21, and 22-cubic-foot refrigerator models in Amana’s lineup.
Amana offers three color options across their line of refrigerators. These are black, white, and stainless steel. Each one has a different aesthetic, and the one you choose should depend on your kitchen’s style and color scheme. Your budget might also determine the color you choose; the stainless steel options are up to $100 more expensive than the black and white finishes.
There are different storage options in Amana’s refrigerator models. Think about the types of food that you regularly buy and find a model with specific storage options for your needs. Here are some of the storage options you get in Amana’s refrigerators; Humidity-Controlled Garden Fresh™ Crisper Bins, gallon door storage bins, adjustable door bins, deli drawer, dairy center, flip-up shelf.
All Amana refrigerators have crisper bins, but if you buy lots of fruits and veggies, you’ll need one with the company’s Humidity-Controlled Garden Fresh™ crisper bins. These are special crisper bins that maintain optimum humidity levels to keep veggies and fruits fresh for longer.
Consider a model with a dairy center if you consume a lot of dairy products or one with a deli center if you love deli meats.
Unique Features of Amana Refrigerators
Spillsaver Glass Shelves
Spillsaver is a shelf design in some Amana refrigerators with raised edges. This keeps liquids that spill from dripping to the bottom of the refrigerator. Because of this, cleaning messes are easier.
EasyFreezer Pull-Out Drawer
These are the drawer freezers found in Amana’s bottom-freezer refrigerators. They’ve been designed to smoothly glide in and out even when they’re full.
Reversible Door Swing
The top-freezer and bottom-freezer refrigerator models in Amana’s lineup all have reversible doors. The company designed the doors to be easily switched from swinging right to left; all you have to do is shift the hinges to the other side. So, depending on your kitchen’s layout, you can choose which side your refrigerator’s door opens.
The side-by-side refrigerator models have water and ice dispensers. Amana’s dual-pad dispensers have two separate sections for the ice and water.
Recommended Amana Refrigerator Models
- Reviews: I considered user reviews to identify the models with positive feedback from customers.
- Value for money: The recommended refrigerators have features that offer value for the price you pay.
- Performance: Based on expert reviews and user feedback, I considered refrigerators that are top performers in their category.
Amana Model ART104TFDW 28-inch Top-Freezer Refrigerator
Most people who buy this Amana top-freezer refrigerator use it as a second one, possibly in the garage. Its 14-cubic-foot capacity makes it a great secondary refrigerator, but those who live alone or a household of two can use this as their main fridge. In terms of looks, there’s nothing to write home about; it has a standard top-freezer refrigerator design.
You can choose either black or white, but that’s about all the excitement you’ll get in style. Still, at its price point, you’re probably just looking for a refrigerator that does its job well, and it does. This model has no extra bells and whistles, just basic features you’d expect in an affordable fridge. This includes a temperature control system that’s easy to use and ample storage compartments for your foods.
- This Amana top-freezer refrigerator has a total capacity of 14 cubic feet.
- The refrigerator section has 10.46 cubic feet, and the freezer section has 3.87 cubic feet.
- It has a width of 28 inches and a depth of 30 inches.
- There are a dairy bin and a crisper drawer in the fridge section.
- You can install an automatic icemaker kit in the freezer.
- It has reversible doors.
- There are three wire shelves in the refrigerator and one in the freezer.
- This is an affordable refrigerator.
- Its small capacity means that it doesn’t use a lot of energy.
- It comes in either black or white.
- The temperature control is within easy reach.
- It’s affordable
- It isn’t sold with an icemaker. You have to buy this separately.
Amana Model ART308FFDW 30-inch Wide Top-Freezer Refrigerator
If the refrigerator above is too bare-bones for you, consider this 30-inch top-freezer model. This one is a little bit bigger than the one above with a capacity of 18 cubic feet. It’s also more expensive, costing over $100 more than the previous one. But this model carries more sophisticated features that make it a good main refrigerator for a family of three or four.
Inside, you’ll get three glass shelves in the refrigerator, plus gallon-size door bins. It also boasts a humidity-controlled crisper drawer that should keep your fruits and veggies fresh for longer. Sadly, this model doesn’t come with an icemaker as standard. You’ll have to buy and install one separately.
- This Amana top-freezer model has a total capacity of 18 cubic feet.
- The freezer has a capacity of 5.09 cubic feet, and the fridge has 13.06 cubic feet.
- It has humidity-controlled crisper drawers.
- There are gallon-sized door bins.
- It also has a dairy bin.
- This model has electronic temperature controls.
- Its doors are reversible.
- It’s an affordable refrigerator.
- The humidity-controlled crisper bins work perfectly.
- The door bins can hold large bottles.
- The temperature controls are easy to use.
- It doesn’t come with an icemaker. You have to buy this separately.
Amana Model ABB2224BRW 33-inch Wide Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator with EasyFreezer™ Pull-Out Drawer
Consider this bottom-freezer refrigerator model if you’re looking for more refrigerator space with an elegant design to boot. This Amana model is delightful to look at, but my favorite finish is the stainless steel one that gives it an aura of luxury. However, you’ll have to pay $100 more for this one over the black and white models.
This refrigerator boasts a total capacity of 22 cubic feet, with the refrigerator section taking up 15.62 cubic feet and the freezer 6.45 cubic feet. Below the fridge section is a drawer freezer that Amana calls an Easyfreezer Pull-Out Drawer.
It’s been designed to smoothly glide in and out with ease, whether empty or full. This freezer has a slide-out wire basket for holding extra frozen food, allowing you to fit more items inside.
- This refrigerator has a total capacity of 22 cubic feet.
- Its fridge section has humidity-controlled crisper bins.
- There are gallon-sized adjustable door bins.
- It has SpillSaver glass shelves.
- The refrigerator door is reversible.
- There’s a deli drawer.
- This model has a drawer freezer.
- It has a large-capacity fridge section.
- The freezer is easy to open and close.
- The glass shelves are designed to prevent spills from dripping over.
- You don’t have to bend over to see what’s inside the freezer.
- It doesn’t come with an icemaker.
Amana Model ABB1921BRM 29-inch Wide Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator
This Amana refrigerator happens to be the company’s most popular bottom-freezer model, costing about $100 less than the model above. This lower cost is, perhaps, a result of Amana giving this model a door-freezer configuration instead of a drawer.
It’s also slightly smaller, with a capacity of 18 cubic feet: the refrigerator has 12.94, and the freezer has 5.73. Aside from these differences, every other feature is similar to the one featured above, from the humidity-controlled crisper bins to the SpillSaver glass shelves.
This model comes in three colors: black, white, and stainless steel. Although the stainless steel option is more expensive – as you probably already know – it’s also the most elegant. The black and white look a bit bland, but that’s just my opinion.
- This bottom-freezer refrigerator has a total capacity of 18 cubic feet.
- It has a door freezer section.
- The fridge section has SpillSaver glass shelves.
- There are humidity-controlled crisper bins.
- The freezer has a wire shelf and basket.
- Both the refrigerator and freezer doors are reversible.
- The fridge has gallon-sized door bins.
- The fridge has ample room with lots of storage compartments.
- Both the fridge and freezer doors are reversible.
- You can organize frozen food in the freezer’s wire basket.
- It doesn’t come with an icemaker. You have to buy it separately.
- The door-freezer configuration means you have to bend over to see what’s inside the freezer.
Amana Model ASI2575GRW 36-inch Side-by-Side Refrigerator
Amana’s side-by-side refrigerators offer the most storage capacity of all models, and this one boasts a total of 24.6 cubic feet. It also has the largest freezer among all Amana’s models, with a capacity of 9.11 cubic feet. This is one of the reasons why I confidently recommend it if you’re looking for ample refrigerator space.
However, you’ll have to contend with a slightly narrower but taller refrigerator and freezer; wider containers might not fit. Still, this is an excellent refrigerator for the price, offering features like Amana’s Dual Pad dispenser, which the more expensive bottom-freezer models don’t have.
You also get various food storage options that include two crisper drawers in the fridge and door bins in both sections. This Amana refrigerator model offers the most value for money.
- This side-by-side refrigerator has a total capacity of 24.6 cubic feet.
- The refrigerator has 15.5 cubic feet, and the freezer has 9.1 cubic feet.
- There are incandescent lights in both the fridge and freezer sections.
- It comes with a water and ice dispenser.
- There’s an in-built icemaker.
- It has Amana’s EveryDriop Water Filter.
- This model has electronic temperature controls.
- This refrigerator has ample space.
- You get an icemaker on purchase.
- Its dispenser has separate sections for ice and water.
- It looks stylish.
- Wider items like platters might not fit on the narrow shelves.
Question: What Company Makes Amana Refrigerators?
Answer: The Amana brand is owned by Whirlpool, Corporation, which also manufactures all Amana appliances, including refrigerators.
Question: How Long Does an Amana Refrigerator Last?
Answer: An Amana refrigerator is expected to last an average of 14 years, depending on how well you maintain it.
Question: What Brand of Refrigerator Has the Least Problems?
Answer: According to JD Power’s appliance satisfaction study of 2021, customers reported that Samsung, LG, and Whirlpool refrigerators are the most reliable.
Amana’s refrigerators are focused on offering value, making them some of the most affordable in the market. Although they don’t have fancy features like smart functionality, they are still excellent refrigerators that stand the test of time. Most customers praise these models for their performance, simplicity, and affordability.
Their side-by-side models offer the most value for money, in my opinion, since they have the largest capacities and some features that are unavailable in the more expensive bottom-freezer models. However, if you’re looking for a top-freezer model, you might find better value in brands like LG or Samsung since Amana’s options are too bare-bones.
Check out our LG refrigerator model guide here if you’d like other options.